Network meetings will be held at the Radisson Blu Saga Hotel on 10th and 11th of September.
The meetings are scheduled accordingly:
- Monday September 10th
- S4CE - 8:30-17:00
- DCO - 12:00-17:00
- Tuesday September 11th
- S4CE - 8:30-17:00
- DCO - 8:30-17:00
- CarbFix - 8:30-17:00
- Metal-Aid - 8:30-17:00
Icebreaker for networks and invited guests will be held at Hellisheidi power plant on Tuesday 11th of september.
Buses will leave from University of Iceland after the Networks meetings.
On our way to Hellisheidi we will do a short sighseeing around the Hellisheidi geothermal area and the CarbFix injection site.
ICC outreach conference
The ICC outreach conference will be open to the public and will commence on September 12th in the Main Building at the University of Iceland.
The conference will feature a series of high profile speakers (see below). These talks are 35 minutes long and will be followed by a poster session where representatives from all the networks will present their research to date. This will be a wonderful opportunity to profile these publicly funded networks and to showcase cutting edge research in Europe and the USA. Extended abstracts from the meeting will be published in Energy Procedia before the meeting. The event will be covered by local and international press.
- Guðmundur Ingi Guðbrandsson, Minister for the Environment and Natural Resources in Iceland will open the conference.
- Overview of networks:
- Adrian Jones - University College London, UK. Introducing the Deep Carbon Observatory.
- Alberto Striolo - University College London, UK. Introducing S4CE.
- David Goldberg - Columbia University, USA. Introducing CarbonSAFE Cascadia.
- Dominique Tobler - University of Copenhagen, Denmark. Introducing Metal-Aid.
- Invited speakers
- Halldór Thorgeirsson - Chair, Iceland’s Climate Council. The pathway towards a global balance between emissions and removals in the context of the paradigm of the Paris Agreement.
- Bernard Marty - Université de Lorraine CRPG-CNRS, France. Origin and distribution of carbon on Earth.
- Daniel Rothman - MIT, USA. Thresholds of Catastrophe in the Earth System.
- Edda Sif P. Aradóttir - Reykjavík Energy, Iceland. Carbon capture and mineral storage in basalt: The CarbFix story.
- Liane G. Benning - GFZ Potsdam, Germany. Carbon in the Arctic and the Antarctic.
- Peter Kelemen - Columbia University, USA. Carbon in the crust.
- Phil Ringrose - Statoil, NTNU Norway. The CCS hub in Norway: some insights from 22 years of saline aquifer storage.