One of Reykjavik Energy’s key emphases is environmental responsibility, which is embodied in respect for the environment and responsible utilization of resources. Reykjavik Energy emphasizes the following:
- Being in the forefront of environmental affairs in all fields, abiding by all governmental requirements and working on solid acceptance of power stations and work areas.
- Setting measurable goals in environmental affairs.
- Sustainably utilizing resources in water conservation areas and geothermal areas.
- Minimizing emissions of greenhouse gases.
- Increasing land quality and hydrocarbon sequestration with land reclamation and forestation.
- Working purposefully toward increased use of ecologically sound energy.
- Checking that the company’s employees and suppliers fulfil Reykjavik Energy’s environmental policy.
- Being a market leader in sales of environmentally sound products.
- Working toward continuous improvements in accordance with Environmental Management Standard ISO 14001 and “EarthCheck”.
- Monitoring significant environmental factors and managing the ones that are controllable.
Significant environmental factors
Significant environmental factors are those affected by the company’s activities and related to its core activities. The company controls and monitors significant environmental factors as much as possible, and the following factors have been assessed as significant:
- Emissions of greenhouse gases
- Land reclamation and forestation
- Waste and the proportion of it recycled
- Use of resources
- Heat-tolerant microorganisms
- The quantity of hydrogen sulfide and the proportion of it removed
- The proportion of renewable energy sources in transport and communications.